Lentil soup or Shorbat Adas is a regional favourite enjoyed especially during the winter months in the UAE.
- 1 cup moong dal
- 1 diced onion
- 1 litre water
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1tsp black pepper
- Chopped coriander
For garnish and serving:
- Lemon juice
- Regag bread
- Rinse and soak lentils in water for 1-2 hours.
- Drain the water off.
- In a pot heat 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the lentils and sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of flour, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the water or the stock, stir to make sure that the flour dissolved completely.
- Allow the soup to come to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- You can adjust the stock amount depending on how thick you want the soup to be.
- When cooked, run the soup in a blender until it is completely smooth.
- Season with salt.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir until completely incorporated in the soup.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges and Regag bread.